Avalon Housing is an organization that promotes radical acceptance through its commitment to diversity, inclusion and anti-racism. We amplify brave voices in our workplace and the communities we serve by cherishing difference, disrupting the status quo, demanding change, and measuring our impact in these areas within and beyond our organization.
Equity is defined by the presence of justice, impartiality and fairness within the procedures, processes and distribution of resources by institutions or systems. Tackling equity issues requires an understanding of the underlying or root causes of outcome disparities and oppression within our society. Avalon Housing will champion our vision for equity, in particular racial equity, in the organization and in the community broadly.
We commit to continuous learning, being truth tellers and role models, and measuring our impact as an anti-racist organization within the Avalon Housing workplace and beyond. We commit to keeping people, organizational values and the equity vision at the center of our work, believing that by doing so we will uncover untapped potential in ourselves and those we serve. We will be intentional and mindful of the presence of racism and its insidious nature and will constantly assess our work through this lens.
Avalon’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) strategy has six areas of opportunity:
- Improve internal communications so that staff have clear ways to provide feedback and gain clarity about how we advance equity. Connect our efforts to our mission, vision and values.
- Establish policies and procedures that reflect our vision and commitment to equity.
- Increase the number of people of color who have agency and power to affect change throughout the organization.
- Tie our goals to the performance measurement of leaders within the organization.
- Keep equity at the forefront when planning, implementing and evaluating programs and services.
- Support public policy efforts that promote diversity, inclusion and equity. Actively seek collaborations to reinforce and encourage focus on diversity, inclusion and equity in the organization and its collaborators.